Monday, March 05, 2012

The Jacket


The jacket is an amazing transformer. Put on a jacket over t-shirt and shorts or capris, and you transform something overly casual to a stylish chic outfit. Put on your shades and you look like a hollywood celebrity shopping for groceries.
Wear a well cut snug jacket for work and people take you seriously immediately.

Cutting a deal or convincing someone is dependent on what you wear to a certain extent. A well tailored jacket brings up your shoulders, emphasizes your waist and perks up your butt. It gives you confidence to articulate yourself.

I meet customers who tell me they dont wear jacket as it is hot in Singapore. But no matter how hot our climate is, surely we have encountered the freezing office, cinema, cafe and restaurant when we need a lightweight but chic protection. In fact, I think to travel between very hot to cold environment makes one ill easily. So having a jacket regulates your temperature.

Anyway, jacket comes in all shapes and fabrics. There are lightweight ones in cotton or linen that allows your skin to breathe. Before starting my label, I actually lament not being able to find a suitable jacket due to my small frame so every jacket out there swallows me. But now I make cropped jackets , with feminine details like lace accents and floral appliques for petite females who want to make a statement yet still feel feminine.

And above is the scallop jacket where every scallop is drawn by a compass and even more painstaking efforts to sew each scallop to ensure they are equally round. Pair this artwork with a "chunky" necklace and look fabulous instantly. Need I say more.