Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Happy Birthday!

G's birthday was on National Day! Actually holidays are my peak sales period, but for this special day, I make sure I take a day off to accompany him. And I decided to cook him a decent dinner. Lotus roots pork ribs soup, steam chicken in sesame oil and his favourite fried dou miao.

At around 6pm, we went to Giant supermarket to buy the ingredients. Despite him saying we can eat outside, I persevered to say I wanted to cook. I took the lotus root from my home fridge and we had a "fight" over how many chickens and ribs to buy in the super market.

Actually I cook a lot when I was studying in Milan and I always cook Chinese food. But ever since I tasted his wonderful cooking, I decided to retire by "culinary skills" so has been long time since I peeled the garlic, chopped the roots and fry the dishes. And when we reached him house, to my horror, there is no oyster sauce and the steam chicken became marinated with tom yum sauce in the end. But all's well end's well and we did have a decent meal after all (with abit of his intervention)

first step chopping and peeling garlic till my fingers smell.

we cant find the oyster sauce in the house. In the end, G suggested marinating the chicken with tom yum paste instead.

just finished washing the fresh dou miao!!

Actually G is frying this dou miao as I m scared of spattering oil.

Improved version with pacific clams. This is quite yummy even tho I dislike veges.

Boiling the lotus root soup with pork ribs for more than 45 mins.

our humble spread full of love plus 2 takeaway dish.. Hee

Happy Birthday!!