Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Upsetting

Yesterday was an upsetting day. I always serve my customers with all my heart. Many times out of goodwill, I even go out of the way to ensure they are happy. But yesterday one customer yesterday actually smsed me very nasty remarks which is so hurting. I realised no matter how hard you try, you will not be able to please everyone.

Many months back, she approached me to do a dress for her. She showed me a design and told me she wanted me to do something like that. I advised her against it as I dont think it will look nice. But at her insistence, I agreed much to the disappointment of my tailor. Big mistake. And when the dress was ready, I think the dress did look nice and was done to what she wanted. Her partner came with her and they were not satisfied as it did not "look like the original" and they wanted to change the design. Actually for custom make, once you agree on the design, it is impossible to change once done. No designer will accept that. But I saw her disappointed face and told my tailor to change if they really wanted to. And my tailor sat down with them again and explain to them patiently what can be done and told them to come within 2 weeks if they really wanted to change. Big mistake. They did not come back.

But few months later, yesterday, she called and said she want to come down and do a fitting to change her dress. Have you ever step into a boutique to buy a dress and come back few months later and said you want to change it? I told her is not possible as it is way past the deadline. And she started smsing nasty remarks at me and then her partner called me as well to scold me. Finally i thought out of goodwill, I will change for her. I asked her partner what she wanted to change. And he replied she is not sure but for her ROM dress the maker altered few times for them. Well in the first place, if a dress needs various alterations means it was not done well in the first place. If she wears my design and it looked nice and fitted her, I am not sure why we need to alter it?? Alterations will tear the delicate French lace. And it seems she didnt know what she wants to alter as well.

It is really puzzling. Besides, different designers have different strengths, it is really unreasonable to go to one designer and ask her why she cant do the same design as another designer. If you ask 2 chefs to cook the same thing, it will not taste the same. It is a constant "bullying" local designers like us have to swallow. Will you go to Valentino and ask them to do Armani design?