Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ming Inspirations



Shantung Poly-silk spaghetti strap dress with embroidered obi belt

People always ask me where I get my inspirations from. Well I am actually very much inspired by Orientalism and Peranakan Arts. I am proud to have Chinese blood and I believe that as a designer you should have a niche and something you believe in.

And it helps that I chose to study Chinese and English Literature and took up Chinese History as a cross faculty module in university. Dreams of Red Chamber, Strange Tales of Liao Zhai, Tang poems are classics which I grew up fascinated with. I love studying Chinese poems and painting a picture in my brain.

My current collection is inspired by the fine blue and white porcelain from the famed Ming Dynasty. The porcelain features dainty lotus, peonies and plum blossom motifs with delicate gold paint at times. I have used strong palattes of blues, whites and blacks with soft pinks and a tinge of gold. And lotuses in painstakingly embroidered obis and tops. Not to forget our signature mandarin buttons for an added edgy vibe.