Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Humble Beginnings

Fuchsia Lane had its first official staff dinner today! Wheee.... And we start reminiscing about how it all happened. To think about it, Fuchsia Lane is now about 3 years old. It started with humble beginnings.

In 2007, I quit my high paying job in marketing to set up Fuchsia Lane. I started with less than 2k without any financial help from my family and friends and no connections. Yes!! I remembered my family was dead against me setting up my own business. At first, I started selling only on website. And I remembered whenever someone like my clothes, I will bring a big bag of clothes in different sizes (since I have not seen her before) to meet the person. My earliest customers will remember this. Meeting me to try in the public restroom of shopping centre. Thanks to all these customers for supporting me since day 1.

I started selling in pushcart but I remember the 1st one was outside the National Library. And alas my only customer turned out to be my good friend Andy. Then we started at Maad fair where both G and I will be carrying loads of clothes and mirror and racks. Those were really heavy and backbreaking. Soon enough, I build up my own clientele who like my quirky re-engineered tees. And at the same time, I started approaching shops to sell in their stores- including Musuem Shops, Anthropology. But my big break came when the senior fashion correspondent at Zaobao wrote a full-page article on me and I remembered after that article appeared, my mailbox was flooded and my hp couldnt stop ringing with people who wanted to buy my creations!

So after 1 yr, I rented a small table space in a shared office. My sponsor from On Cheong Jewellery for my first showcase actually met me in the tiny shared meeting room. Amazingly, he did not look down on me but was moved by my sincerity and passion and decided to sponsor my first showcase. Then the rest will take 3 days and 3 nights to write... :)

First pushcart outside the National Lib

First time our designs are sold in a store. At the now defunct Anthropology, Raffles City.

First attempt at selling in fairs. Maad@Red Dot Design Museum 2007.

First newspaper coverage- Full page on Lianhe Zaobao. Thanks Wenyan! 2007

First private tea session. Miss Jennie Chua attended with her daughter in law. She has been supporting me from day one!

First office space. A table in a shared office. Shot taken for interview in the now defunct Vanilla. 2008.

First overseas media coverage - cover of The Star Fashion Paper-one of the most widely read papers in Malaysia. Customers started ringing from Sarawak! 2008

First solo showcase " In Love With Passion" @ Arts House, 2008. Taken with Presenting Sponsor Mr and Mrs Ho from On Cheong Jewellery.

First solo brand counter @ CHAI. 2009

First Fall Collection after mentorship with Thomas Wee. 2009

TV interview on Channel U Programme. Taken with Mediacorp celebrity hosts. 2009

2nd solo showcase "ETERNITY by Fuchsia Lane" @ION Orchard. From L to R. Mr Ho from On Cheong Jewellery, Parliamentary Secretary Sam Tan, CEO of ION Orchard Soon Su Lin, myself, Acting MICA Minister Lui Tuck Yew, Gary, Director of Fuchsia Lane. 2010

Showing Guest of Honour Acting MICA Minister Lui Tuck Yew around for my solo showcase on the Opening Night. Mr Ho from On Cheong on the right. 2010

All are Fuchsia Lane creations including Shanghai Jasmine worn by Alicia Loke (L) and Min-Li (R). 2010

Store Opening at Parco. Taken with Miss Buniga, Director of Royal Thai Embassy (L) and her assistant Saowanee (R). 2010

Taken with Second Minister for Finance and Transport Lim Hwee Hua.

Parco fashion show featuring our Ming Porcelain Collection, 2010.

First overseas fashion show. Fuchsia Lane is invited by Royal Thai Embassy to represent Singapore in the Opening fashion show for one of the most important fashion and trade event at Bangkok. 2010



(from L to R)XiaoXu, Dajie, myself,Dannis and Gary! First official staff dinner. Thanks to my great team and G for Fuchsia Lane's achievements today. But a pity, some of the team are not around today. But oh well..sure there will be more such dinners :)

I am counting my blessings. Thanks to my staff, customers, friends and people who had always stood by the journey! Although it was really a difficult journey with alot of heartbreak, tears and sweat, I had not regret it.