Sunday, July 04, 2010

A toast to my mentors!

I remember one of my earliest mentor was my maternal grandfather. He was a great man. My mum told me he strike business dealings and good relationships with the British. I love him alot even though my recollection of him was hazy. But I always remember he looked energetic and wore a kind smile on his face and was always dressed well and neatly with a touch of cologne despite being in his 80s. He spoke firmly but gently.

Then my aunt had a great influence on me. She doted on me but never spoiled me. She was a shrewd businesswoman with sharp business acumen. She struck profitable dealerships and took over the family business singlehandedly in a male dominated industry. She was kind but firm in her decisions. Her staff respected her. Even in her 60s now, she works everyday. She had instiled in me strong business ethics and taught me ropes of the ruthless business world. I think I inherited my business genes from both my grandfather and aunt.

Then came my sponsor- the boss of On Cheong Jewellery cum president of Singapore Jewellers Association. Contrary to popular belief, he is not related to me despite being the Presenting Sponsor for 2 of my solo showcase. One at Arts House and another one at ION Orchard earlier this year. He is like a stern father which makes his children work hard and prove their results to get what they want. Both showcases were very very hard work for me. He taught me proper business etiquette and how to handle very important people like Ministers and CEOs. And he taught me " Never speak to or treat anyone unkindly even the cleaning lady.."

And I was so fortunate now to be under the mentorship of Thomas Wee. He is one of the greatest designers in Singapore. I think his mastery of fashion patterning is unparallelled here. He taught me how to make 'clothes smell of luxury and class". I think he revamped my design aesthetics and make me see so much more. And he recently opened a new brand space at Tangs!

Last but not the least, G who is the mentor and partner in my life. He teaches me not to neglect the others around me and my blessings. While I am driven, he is thoughtful and patient. He is a silent force in my business and a stabilising pillar in my life.

Salute to these mentors and those that I may accidentally miss out but definitely not forget!